Electromagnetics, Antennas and Propagation – assignment #1
1. Calculate the potential at points P, Q, R, S and T when the central right-hand side
metal plate is at -5V and also when it is at +5V.
2. Draw a contour map showing the potential for both bias situations.
3. Compare the results with those obtained with the Partial Differential Equation Toolbox
of Matlab (or any other electromagnetic software).
4. Calculate the magnitude of the electric field |E| and the flux density |D| at P, Q, R, S
and T for both bias conditions.
5. For both bias conditions, calculate the capacitance per unit length (i) between both
central plates and (ii) between each central plate and all the other metal boundaries
using your program and compare them with those of parallel plate capacitors of the
same size neglecting fringing fields (i.e., fields outside the capacitor are neglected).
εr = 9, μr = 1
x Coordinate origin (0,0)
Outer box at potential 0V
Point P(5,3) 6 mm
εr = 1, μr = 1 (Air)
Dr Miguel Navarro-Cía
6. Using the capacitances from 5, calculate the total capacitance of the edge-coupled
grounded coplanar waveguide neglecting fringing fields for both bias conditions.
7. If the structure were a transmission line extending into the page, what is the velocity of
the electromagnetic wave along the line for either of the bias conditions?
8. Research the literature of edge-coupled coplanar waveguides and find the expressions
for computing the total even- and odd-mode capacitance per unit length. Compare
your results with those obtained from such expressions.
A report is required with a description of how you tackled the problem and the answers to the
The report should be self-contained with a good description of the methods you used.
Your computer code (with comments) should be included as an appendix.
The report should be no more than 10 sides of A4 excluding the appendix with your code.
Use 11 point Sans Serif font (e.g. Arial), single line spacing and 1.5 cm margins all round.
In addition, you will need to add to a cover and feedback sheet to ensure you receive
targeted feedback that will support your learning. It is a requirement for students to include
the completed template as the first page of every assignment that is submitted for marking.
Plagiarism, which includes, but is not limited to, a failure to acknowledge sources will be