Assessment 1 is worth 40% of your final grade and focuses on implementing an end-to-end cloud application
using AWS cloud platform and technologies. You are free to use any programming language/framework and
third-party API of your choice to develop your solution. You will be provided with some sample reports to
help you understand the depth and required skills of the project, but keep in mind the assignment
specifications have changed from what these sample reports were developedagainst.
Before you develop your solution, discuss your proposal with your tutor. Aim to finalize your preliminary
project idea by Week 3, so you can start early.
2. Assessment Criteria
This assessment will focus on:
1. Designing and developing a highly scalable application by applying the knowledge of distributed
architecture and multiple cloud services
2. Delivering a demo of your solution.
3. Learning Outcomes
This assessment is relevant to the following Learning Outcomes:
• CLO 1: Explain the key concepts and principles of cloud computing and the possible applications of the
• CLO 2: Develop and deploy highly scalable cloud applications that are resilient, elastic and cost-efficient
• CLO 3: Identify the big data analysis techniques to store and analyse data in cloud computing
• CLO 4: Compare and evaluate the key trade-offs between multiple approaches to cloud system design in
order to choose an appropriate design to resolve cloud computing problems.
4. Assessment details
1. You must use the AWS services under the categories of Compute, Containers, Storage, Networking
and Content Delivery, Database, and Analytics on the AWS Management Console for your application.
2. Each service/API must be 1) fully implemented and automated in your application and 2) assessed as
an appropriate selection for your application by the examiner, in order to receive full marks.
Note: Fully implemented and automated services/APIs mean the services/APIs should be
automatically invoked by your client interface operations/code/other services other than CLI/AWS
3. The following fully implemented AWS services are worth 6 marks per type: Elastic Beanstalk, Lambda,
API Gateway, ECS, and EMR.
4. The other fully implemented AWS services under the categories of Compute, Containers, Storage,
Networking and Content Delivery, Database, and Analytics on the AWS Management Console for your
application are worth 3 marks per type.